Since the establishment of Masjid Al-Noor in 1997, the Muslim community in Memphis has grown tremendously. Along with it, the needs and priorities of the community have also matured beyond all expectations. Islamic Association of Greater Memphis (IAGM) was established as a 501(c) 3 non-profit religious organization in 2007 to serve and accommodate the ever increasing needs of the Muslim community of the Greater Memphis area.
Since the establishment of IAGM, our vision was to find a land large enough to build a Masjid with its own parking and facilities, reaching into the Muslim concentration households, a Masjid large enough to serve the family needs, men, women, elders, and most important our future leaders, our children & youth. Alhamdolillah, a 4.5 Acre land is was purchased in 2009 to build a new masjid, masjid Ar-Rahman in a central strategic area right off the highway in the middle of a wide range of housing developments and apartments, any Muslim household can find residence around it. By Allah SWT’s grace, and then through the generosity of our community, the construction of Masjid Ar-Rahman was completed in February 2014 with a capacity of over 1200 worshipers. The second phase of the project which is to be completed soon inshallah will include a recreational facility for our children, youth, and the entire family.
The purpose of IAGM is to establish and carry forth the message of the Qur’an and Sunnah. It is our obligation to take the light of Islam and illustrate its beauty to all those around us in our community while integrating into society and preserving our Muslim identity.
For this purpose, IAGM seeks:
- ·To promote, coordinate, and conduct activities and programs that will advance the religious, social, economic, educational, civic, cultural, and ethnic ambitions of the Muslims in the Greater Memphis area.
- ·To provide an Islamic environment for our youth, an environment where our youth can grow and develop.
- ·To educate the society at large about authentic Islamic teachings and principles.
- ·To promote amiable relations between Muslims and everyone in society.
- · To serve the society in which we live through all Islamically approved means.
- · Provide guidance, assistance, aid the socioeconomic well being of the Muslim community and at large.